View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #5995 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
don't need, 2nd amendmant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm not entirely opposed to a monarchy. It's sort of democratically established in that a corrupt monarch will eventually be overthrown. Possibly an easier problem to solve than a corrupt democracy as there's a singular problem to resolve.

Wealthy men don't need a strong central government because they have wealth (and guns) to protect them. Heck, I don't require police to keep me safe. They are last responders, not first responders. They'll write the reports after the fact. It seems the only time police are willing to enter a dangerous situation is when they've had 2 weeks to assemble several hundred heavily armed swat members, and generally they are the ones bringing the violence to what was previously a peaceful place.

The 2nd amendment wasn't to ensure people had the right to own muskets; it was to ensure the people could adequately defend their country and their land. It's explicitly stating what we all know is a natural right; to defend yourself against threat. As technology progressed, muskets were no longer sufficient as a defensive weapon.
I'm sure Exxon-Mobil shareholders will be thrilled that the US Seventh Fleet will no longer safeguard supertanker shipments from the Middle East.Or maintain an interstate highway system, airports, harbors,dams,levees,berms,food inspections,drugs,drinking water,building materials.And that pesky Pentagon,it's obviously a bad idea.Armed Forces,FCC.FBI.CIA.NRO.NSA.National laboratories.US Mint.Yucca Mountain.Pantex Plant.NOAA.FAA.NASA.Internet.Big Inch.Little inch.Alaska.Hawaii.Puerto Rico.Gadsden Purchase.Louisiana Purchase.Purchase.Texas.NORAD.RAND Corp.Transcontinental Railroad.
A 'right' would be something bestowed.Evolution would have selected for a survival instinct.