View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #111 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Alabama just passed a law increasing the gas tax. Included in this is a $200 (per year) fine for EVs and a $100 fine for PHEVs.

This convinced me to sell my Nissan Leaf... If you drive a new Prius and average 50MPG, you would need to drive 35,714 miles in one year in order to pay the same amount of gas tax as an EV driver who may only drive 1000 miles in a year pays.

My next car will likely be a gas hog sedan, as I want something a little bit more responsive than another Prius, and the state has discouraged me from seeking any EVs or PHEVs.

The government ruins yet another great thing.
No, rednecks did it. If a state ranks 50th in education long enough, what do you think its legislature is going to eventually look like? It's going to be full of people who can't count and have no planning or critical thinking skills.
Gubmint isn't ruining anything, Murrica is doing it just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I would have economic, national defense, and environmental studies report on the impacts of raising fuel taxes at varying amounts and by varying rates to determine what might be the best balance. Then I'd implement that strategy, which would probably be a well announced and slowly increasing federal tax on fossil fuels. You want business and individuals have time to prepare and adjust for the changes, not dump it on them suddenly.
Before conducting any study, I'd immediately translate the federal gas tax to 19.87%, or $0.501. I didn't say raise, I said translate. Convert. In 1993 when the federal tax was raised to 18.4 cents, gas averaged $1.11 a gallon, making it a 19.87% tax ($0.926x1.1987=$1.109). Today's national average is $2.723, so pre federal tax it's $2.539, which would give us the 50.1 cent tax ($2.539x1.1987=$3.04). I would then, as part of commissioning the studies, assume that they would recommend some sort of increase and begin small annual increases immediately.

Don't even mention state gas taxes- if they weren't rolled into the pre federal tax price here, that 18.4 cents would have been an even higher percentage of the base gas price back in 1993.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%