View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

If you've read a lot about tires and fuel economy, then you shouldn't need to ask the question. But allow me to repeat myself.

There is a technology triangle involving treadwear, traction (especially wet traction) and rolling resistance (fuel economy). In order to get better results in one category, one or both of the others has to be sacrificed. Typically, treadwear is very important to the consumer, so most tires are designed in that direction - usually at the expense of RR.

But tires supplied to the OEM (vehicle manufacturers) are designed at the request of the OEM to have good RR, and treadwear and traction are compromised in the process.

Further, LRR is a relative term. It means better RR compared to other tires with similar treadwear and traction properties. All OE tire will be LRR - and actually have low RR. But most tires labeled LRR don't actually have low RR values - they only have better RR by comparison.

LT tires? As a general rule, LT tires are worse for RR. They are designed beefier in order to carry higher loads than P type tires and RR suffers as a result.

In this case, you are dealing with an older vehicle and the tire size has fallen out of favor. You just won't find many options. I did Tire Rack and only found 4 all season tires available.

Changing the tire size to P215/70R15 and there are more options (27) and some of them are LRR. (Please note: Tire Rack uses the term "Eco Focus" instead of LRR because of the confusion between tires that have low RR values and those that are just better by comparison.)

I'm afraid your options are limited.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-25-2019), slowmover (06-26-2019)