View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #216 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Other cars are undriveable because of bad engines or transmissions...
...the Insight is undrivable because of one broken bolt.

Have not been able to establish a solid 12V output connection from the stock DC-DC converter. So I'm going to ditch it and go the meanwell route. Posted a thread over on IC offering to pay a small sum for someone to bypass the rectifier for me, since I have no know-how on how to do it.

So until I get the meanwell installed, my car is undrivable due to no 12V charging. Wa la.

Carpet is ordered, have all the other stuff I need to rebuild the rear, but that's all on hold until I get the meanwell installed.

Found a used Meanwell HRP-600-15 for sale for under $50 total. Should be able to drive the Insight in a week.

All because of a broken bolt.
Bummer! I hope the meanwell works for ya. It took a bit of work to set it up for me, but was worth it. Any 80mm fan and some time modifying the lid is well worth it, as you'll find out yourself when that meanwell stock fan fires up.

I went with the 15v route myself. I think all the way down was 13.x volts if I recall. Maybe 13.8? Anywho, I set it and forget it at 14v and it's been solid for many miles now.