View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #218 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
The schematic over on IC doesn't seem too terribly complicated, and definitely much simpler than the stock DC-DC.

Did you completely remove the meanwell fan? Does your current fan setup blow air in or pull air out?

Hoping I get a response over on the IC thread relatively soon. Unless maybe you would be willing to bypass the rectifier for me if I shipped the meanwell over to you?

I wonder about mounting it to an external heat sink. I'm still a little worried about cooling for it.

I plan on wiring it to an external kill switch rather than to 12V ignition on, so I can manually turn it off every now and then on hot days under light load. Plus it'll simplify the wiring a little.
I have my fan blowing in. I did a "strategic" pattern on my lid to offer the best heat sinking for the rec diode, but still get plenty of airflow. If I recall, this fan blows something like 2x the amount of air that the small one did. That was was completely removed.

The bypass isn't too bad and you really can't screw it up, though you have to have a soldering iron that can get hot enough to melt the oem solder that the meanwell comes with.

I originally planned putting on more heat sinking. Thus far, I've had zero problems... but we'll see in the next 2 very hot months. Oh, I also replaced the thermal paste when I pulled the board with a liberal amount of higher quality stuff. (computer overclockers will have this on hand! I used Arctic Silver Ceramique since I had a giant tube of it and it seems to last a long time)