View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Subaru's are very difficult to hypermile. 33 MPG is probably the best I ever got out of a full tank in my '96 Legacy 2.2L manual. I had briefly owned a 2007 Outback auto 2.5L, but was dismayed that my gentle driving returned 24 MPG. Sold it a month later for $1k more than I paid for it and continued driving the '96, which averaged 28 MPG.

Subaru has got to drop the mechanical AWD and start implementing it in a hybrid electric way. Also, I find it funny that they lower the center of gravity by using a boxer engine, and then jack the whole thing up to increase ground clearance.
They are appealing to the off-road, faux rally crowd, who don't really care about fuel economy. Which is a shame because the boxer engine has good potential to be efficient. They should have a 3-position AWD like the Suzuki SX-4: 2WD, standard AWD, and AWD Lock, manually selected on the dash. With that in place I think they would see routine 30 mpg highway and 40-45 with a good hypermiler, especially if you start to fix aero.