View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Tow Rig/Daily Driver/Weekend Toy thoughts?

So, in my other thread, I lamented that I've got the wrong truck. I failed to fully consider my input conditions (size of family, need for not-tent accommodations, etc.) and hit a payload/tow rating limitation due to how Ford rates the M5OD-equipped 2nd Gen Explorer. Swapping in an auto and lower gears won't change the ratings attached to the VIN.

As a result, I am researching for another vehicle. It'll be a while, because I sunk all my "toy money" in this Explorer and can't get much of it back out, but that just gives me time to refine the plans more.

Requirements:
4 seatbelt positions for adults (One kid is 13, the other is 9, they'll be "full size" soon...).
4*/4* or better NHTSA crash rating (or equivalent).
Low-range equipped transfer case.
Tow rating of ~4,000lb or better.

And the hard part: Minimum 1600lb payload capacity (including driver, passengers, etc.)

You may ask where the payload capacity comes from:
~450lb trailer tongue
~100lb weight distributing/anti-sway hitch stuff
~750lb total of driver and 3 passengers (only a bit of room for growth on the kids with this number)
~300lb skidplates, rock rails, beefier tires a few sizes taller than stock - no winch or lift.

There's not much room there for "personal belongings inside the cab for during the drive" either. Or the 75lb dog and her crate if we want to take her. Or Grandma if she wants to come along, too.

This to tow a modest 16-17' travel trailer to a campsite and go play on off-road trails, plus commute to work the rest of the year. So I'd prefer not to have a 3/4-ton or 1-ton fullsize (though the payload number basically is pointing directly at that, so I may be adding to the ranks of our fullsize tow-rig hypermilers...)

It's pretty crazy trying to figure out how much something can actually tow, once you factor in the tongue weight against the payload rating and the weight of the passengers, etc. 10,000lb GCWR doesn't matter much if there's no payload left for the tongue! Check the specs on a 2008+ Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, for example: Payload of 980lb, Tow Rating of 3500lb. It can't fit my family and tow that much trailer.

If anyone has tips on compact/popup travel trailers 3500lb or less GVWR that have 3 separate sleeping positions (one ~Queen for us parents, two ~Twins for the kids) a toilet with a door, a shower that doesn't require sitting on the toilet, a microwave, small range, mini-fridge, furnace and A/C I'm all ears. Likely max stay of just under a week without moving, so having to do pumpouts/refills not so bad. Hard-side is *definitely* preferred - there's a good chance that if it takes 20+ minutes to set up a tent-type folding popup in the rain it'll get vetoed by the rest of the family that have to sit in the tow rig while I set it up. Plus all it takes is one rainy week in which it can't dry out after one rainy weekend camping and having to fold it up/drive home with the canvas all wet and it'll be a mildew-fest in there.

If you can recommend one that's 1800lb or less fully loaded for camping (full water tank/LP tank, sheets, kitchen supplies, etc.) and is known to "dry out well", that'd drop the payload requirements a fair bit, too. Basically an 1800lbGVWR popup camper that meets the above needs. That might possibly be towable with the Explorer, maybe need to put the spare in the trailer though.