View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95badbird View Post
Screw dragging cords everywhere.....hell all my lawn equipment is gas...1 pull for everything, and they start right up.
If you live on a 40'x80' lot then electric stuff makes alot of sense, it also seems that its hard to find quality electic equipment. I guess I could use a corded mower but then I'd have to mow the lawn 3 times as often just so I wouldn't kill it in tall thick grass...

Jamesqf, Stihl does make a good electric saw, I think they are $300 new but a used one might be found. Also how many kilowatt hours are in an insight battery? When I'm doing firewood I'd use about 1.75 KWH per hour with a 5hp chainsaw, maybe more like 1.5KWH/hour if I have to move around for each cut.

I can't say I'm totally opposed to electric equipment but it always seems like the batteries can't be charged after awhile, batteries overheat easily too if you run things too hard, and cords get cut and tangled. I find for my rougher carpentry projects my small gas chainsaw is handier than a circular saw. Take about the same time to pick and use and it can do cuts that a circular saw can't.

Ian