View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I started with 44 PSI on my Civic, which was the max sidwall. I saw improvement, so I was encouraged. Tried 50 PSI then, was afraid of going over max sidwall. Was fine. Others ran 60 PSI so I tried that and was fine in the Civic, even ran 68 PSI for a while on the highway on roads I knew were good.

Started out at 60 PSI in the Insight and saw a huge improvement over the 32-40 PSI that were in them when I bought the car. Since then I've been running 80 PSI for several months now. Noticed a bit of an improvement over 60 PSi. Have been fine on all terrains, although I do drive carefully on "rougher" roads. Do NOT recommend 80 PSI unless you're an extremist. I haven't driven with 80 PSI enough miles to comment on tread wear, although I'm sure I'll lose a few thousand miles on the tires from running them that high.

My mom runs sidewall max on her Prius. For safety and tire wear she doesn't go higher

Increasing tire pressure didn't affect ride quality on the Prius or the Civic. However, the ride got significantly harsher on the Insight with increased tire pressure.

Also, be sure not to go to any crazy high tire pressure on tires that have been repaired, or are more than a couple years old.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)