View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm a proud owner of a 2003 Corolla IX 1.6 VVT-i, my first car actually.
I bought it hoping that I could learn to do maintenance work on it, as I began to be interested in car mechanics.

I started with my first oil change, brake discs and pads, and I started to read a lot of things online about this car, so I decided to change the intake manifold and throttle body from the small one on the 1.6 3zz to the bigger one of a celica 1.8L 1zz.

This gave the engine a way softer behaviour at low revs, having more torque, and an appreciable high rev power.
As the initial goal was to have more torque, and more fun, I was and still am fully satisfied.

Over 10 000 km, I averaged 5,78L/100 (41mg US, or 49mgp UK, which one should I use ?) reaching as low as 5,33L/100km for almost 1000km which doesn't seem too bad for me.

I don't consider myself an "hypermiler", as I just drive normally and cautiously, in a way I think everybody should learn to drive.

My next project are :

- considering using E85, I still have to do some research on this.
- and installing a kill switch, as turing the key disable all accessories in my car.

Hope you'll have a ton of advice for me, and you are welcome to correct my english if you wish

If you're getting 41 mpg out of a stock corolla, you are doing quite well at driving already.

As said above power steering delete is a good one, these little cars don't need power steering, and you will get an appreciable increase in fuel economy.

Kill switch is a good plan, but make sure you're legal to use it, in America we can largely get away with what we want but I understand that in Europe they are hardcore about traffic laws. If I'm wrong, or it's legal, using the kill switch to coast engine off to stops will save you big time in city driving.