View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

I installed Air Tab vortex generators on the rear of my 27-foot Jayco travel trailer around 10 years ago. I can average about 14 mpg when pulling the trailer with my diesel F250 at about 60mph, and whether the Air Tabs help contribute to that mileage is impossible to say since I got about the same mileage before I installed them. If they do benefit the mileage, it is less than 5% and thus hard to discern with all the variables involved in hauling a trailer here and there.

I do know that the trailer seems to benefit from additional stability while on the Interstates when being passed by traffic or in high winds. And I can see a much clearer picture behind my trailer when towing in wet weather. And the back of the trailer stays noticeably cleaner. So, they are doing something to reduce the back-draft back there.

I don't think the Air Tabs are miracle cures for whatever towing problems might ail you, but I do believe the operating principle is solid and, for me, was worth the couple of hundred bucks they cost to help with stability and with whatever small fuel savings they might offer.