View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
When I first read the title, first thing to mind.

Old diesels. 2 Stroke diesels for many years were considered to be more powerfull and fuel efficient than the 4 stroke variations. Reason, they are blown so exhaust does not appreciably mix with the clean air, and they still have the higher compression ratios diesels like best. (they were the mainstay from very early on up through the late 70's in buses and semi's)

The military still uses detroit 2 strokes, on one unit called a HET, 23000lbs empty the thing gets 10-12mpg on pavement. Not bad for 8wd all the time, redlines at 46mph though.

I would think if the design for the diesel 2 stroke was applied to the gasoline 2 stroke we would eliminate oil in the fuel, richer than necessary fuel mixtures, and improve compression and combustion.

I believe some snowmobiles have gone this route, at least they alluded to it 10 years ago.

Also of note the car I would most like to have at the moment is a 2 stroke, the Subaru 360 and it gets 50-60mpg easily. But yes it does pollute but probably less than a 2 stroke lawnmower given it has oil injection.

Most of the Jap and Chinese Kei cars are all 2 strokes, some are quite modern and do offer pollution controls. If anyone reads japanese or chinese worth looking into.