View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t disagree, but as someone who tows for a living, go large, or go home. You want a trans, diff, and brakes which will stand up to the abuse. The powertrain is important, but you can’t have brakes on fire at the bottom of a mountain, no matter how it pulls a load on the uphill.

Your ability to descend a grade is maybe my most important metric. It’s why I put up with my truck’s otherwise idiotic automated manual trans: it’s absolutely brilliant at controlled descents.
Buddy, I got more miles backing a big rig thank you do going forward. And have been towing travel trailers close to fifty years.

The “science” isn’t difficult to set up a tow rig. It’s on par with an eighth grade education.

No, the hard part is getting past TV Ad brainwashing. Terms like Payload and Tow Rating are marketing. They have no force of law. None, zero.

The fact of pickups is that they are the highest risk vehicles on the road. But hugely profitable. If it isn’t carrying a CONSTANT heavy load, it was a bad choice.