View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 02:28 AM   #241 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
That's true, but the position and size of the stock fan seem to allow for much better cooling. Even by feel the stock fan performs much better, even if the specs say differently. Really the only way to reduce sound is to reduce RPM, which reduces CFM unless the diameter is increased. A smaller and faster fan will blow less air but will blow faster; the meanwell is a closed unit so size of fan seems less important than how fast the air is moving through it. Actual cooling effect is also dependent on placement and airflow route, not just fan specs.

Going to continue running the stock fan as is for now; if it lacks in cooling I may add a beefier fan later. I don't particularly mind the excess noise, but it might be bothersome for a passenger. I wonder if there's a way to set up some sort of microcontroller to set different fan operation types, such as "comfort" where the fan only runs at lower speed up to a certain temperature before running full speed, "max cooling" for high speed all the time, and then "default" for default operation.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)