View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 02:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Buddy, I got more miles backing a big rig thank you do going forward. And have been towing travel trailers close to fifty years.

The “science” isn’t difficult to set up a tow rig. It’s on par with an eighth grade education.

No, the hard part is getting past TV Ad brainwashing. Terms like Payload and Tow Rating are marketing. They have no force of law. None, zero.

The fact of pickups is that they are the highest risk vehicles on the road. But hugely profitable. If it isn’t carrying a CONSTANT heavy load, it was a bad choice.
That seems a bit aggressive? I want the OP to have a good rig, and I stand by having descent capabilities as a chief criteria. I don’t think I said anything stating that stated payload and towing capabilities were anything but marketing. That’s what the SAE J2807 standard is meant to address, to make towing and payload a much more apples/apples comparison.

I still think if you are gonna tow, go a bit overboard and be safe.

I’m not a truck guy in my non-professional life because I have no need for one.

But if you do the towing/hauling thing, the trucks are there to do that. Get something which will do the job safely, and we all win. Get something not suited to the duty, and you put yourself at risk. Take advantage of the engineering which is out there.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 07-07-2019 at 02:57 AM..