View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
I think it would be foolish to have a vehicle like what I'm describing to be my only mode of transportation.

I'll check out that calculator. It would give a good perspective on my vehicle cost
Oh, I understand why men want to do it. I just was angling for perspective.

A CPM calculator is a basic business tool. You’ll REALLY like how it sharpens focus. Each pony, then the herd as a whole. Take solace that it’s nearly always more than we expect when extrapolated over a lifetime (major phases thereof).

I zeroed out the full expense of my pickup as a business vehicle (whew, plan worked) as otherwise something this expensive (to buy and to own) would have been foolish. The plan to make the most of it was centered on low fuel cost per mile (diesel was still cheaper per gallon then; tremendous energetic content per gallon advantage) coupled to business use. Squeaked by on that last part. Today I would NOT buy diesel. That window shut.

It’s been a long-tenure faithful servant. But still expensive as 1T pickups are greatly oversized for the majority of use, thus no repairs of consequence are cheap. (A new set of injectors will likely run $5k after pro installation; etc).

As book value declined $3k in 12-years from what I paid, it still makes sense to keep.

It’s the long-term CPM based on actual figures which keeps emotions at bay. Even at 19-mpg overall average annual MPG. (A gasser from a few years before with similar capacity for work would average 8-mpg. The diesel only really shines past 200k with the delay of engine replacement ).

The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Taylor95 (07-15-2019)