View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Don't forget about the Spark

Chevrolet send to have been out the gate with good battery longevity in their cars.
+1 The spark will make a 40 mile commute summer or winter and lacks the battery troubles present on other brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Right now, even 40 miles would be good enough, but it is possible we move out about 30 miles in a couple years, then I would need more like 70 miles at 65 mph and in all weather conditions.

I do have 240 in my garage now.
Volt or PIP would work best year round
if your rarely driving outside it’s range.
The PIP is poorly priced for what you get.
Volts are cheap and easily get over 40 miles summer range. If you don’t use gas much just keep 2 gallons in the tank and let it run out if you don’t need Winter heat.
The I3 Rex is perfectly fine for your commute in the mountains as long as you code it but it has a lot of BMW priced failures you will inevitably contend with if you keep the car ($4000 motor mounts aren’t fun) an “engine heat” mod would also be pertinent up north.

Anyway.
None of the 1st gen EVs have a reliable 70 mile Winter range at highway speeds, period. Even 40 mile is pushing it in Winter .

The IMiev in many ways is a better car than the leaf, but you would have to ask Ben about it’s Winter performance.

Leafs have major battery degradation issues and can have a real world range below 25 miles in winter as the battery ages.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=26662
Pick your poison, most EVs aren’t Friendly in northern climates.

This coming from a guy with a 1981 Comutacar and was on the leaf reservation list in 2011 but refused the car and eventually bought a Volt

Last edited by rmay635703; 07-13-2019 at 11:39 AM..