View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
KootenayAllens
EcoModding Lurker

Elsa - '19 Hyundia Sonata PHEV Ultimate
Team Hyundai
90 day: 106.61 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '03 GMC Yukon Xl 1500 4x4 SLT
Aftermarket Wheels Vs Factory Wheels

Hello Since we just ordered a new 2019 Sonata PHEV and we live up here in Canada I have started looking for wheels for my snow tires.

I have never really concerned myself in what affect rim and tire combos will do to the MPG. However I do know that wider/gripper tires are harder to turn so that will affect it a bit.

I usually drive my vehicles to get the best MPG I can with them (other vehicle is a 03' yukon xl 4x4). and I do say usally because sometimes you just have to see what the limits of you car are.

Now I'm not looking to change the dimensions of my tires for winter ... Well might down size form the 215/55r17 stock to 205/65r16 for winter. Or might stay the same 17" size for winter and use my stock wheels for them and look at aftermarket wheels next summer.

The question I have will I see a decrease going with a 17" spoke aftermarket wheel if I keep the width and offest and Weight about the same, or will a more open wheel affect the drag of the car and the MPG.

I know that the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 factory Studded (best winter tire for our conditions) as well as the colder temps, but would like to know how everyone has found a more open wheel vs the factory wheels.

Thank you in advance for the help