View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I remember measuring about 7 inches once a long time ago when I considered this, but I'm going to have to measure again. I have a feeling I'm going to want to push the legal limit a little. Did you have any method for measuring the benefit of the spoiler? Did you do any tuft testing or coast-down testing or anything like that? If you have any pictures handy I'd love to see a picture of what you installed.
I posted some pictures and details here on the Civic's build thread. I really can't recommend doing what I did due to it not holding on well as well as just not looking the best aesthetically. 19bonestock88's is a much better design.

Didn't you try something similar here with a box cavity once?

I'll have to see if I can find it again, but there was someone on here with a 7th gen Civic coupe who ABA tested a decent improvement with a full box cavity - almost a boattail - at the rear end of the car starting at the trunk lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have some clear lexan, and I've been thinking about using it to build supports that would fit into the trunk lid gap like yours do. That would still allow visibility to the part of the Civic's tail lights that are on the trunk lid itself, if that makes sense...
I thought about doing that, but then I used my small amount of available clear plastic to do those mirror boattails I tried out. Another user on here (might've been thedonkeycrx) got pulled over for having clear lexan "obscuring" the taillights on a VX a long time ago, something to keep in mind depending on how strict the police are in your area.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-15-2019), Xist (07-15-2019)