View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
F1 static hubcaps

i'm generally not a big fan of motorsports...in particuler F1, as these cars have truely disasterous drag quoeffients, and silly regulations prevent these cars from beco
a few days ago however watching the sports news at the end of the news, there was a review of the F1 race at the zolder sirquit in belgium.

since the spoilers etc looked a little different than the image of what i remembered an F1 car to look like i started looking closer, and lo and behold
ferari was running something wich looked like hubcaps!...

a quick web search revealed this Formula 1 Insight

surely roadcars have been running hubcaps for ages and, especially during the 80's, these where pretty aerodynamic, and today the most dedicated aeromodders run moon caps...so as such the fact that F1 cars finally start to run them is not all that interesing.

the only notable thing is that these F1 hubs are aparently static in relation to the ground...and while said to serve for break cooling, this is apparently the only way they'd pass curent F1 regulations.
of course ferrari is not going to throw it's findings out in the open... think about the gurney flap, and how long it's true function was not understood by those trying to coppy it.

the most interesing aspect about this is that a system that can keep a bubcap static on a car that shoots across the tack at incredible speeds might one day trancelate in a solution for steering front wheel fairings.

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*