View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
I currently lease a 2016 Spark EV. The EPA range is 82 miles and I get 95 miles in the summer using A/C and 65 miles in the winter using heat. The defroster works fine and is quick to warm up and defrost but pulls a lot of power. (It is a 5kW resistance heater)

I've averaged 4.4 miles per kWh according to the car's gauge.

400 lb feet of torque is fun but the car has severe torque steer and will weave back and forth the full width of the lane our more accelerating at full power. There is no limited slip differential so it alternates spinning one wheel then the other. It will spin the wheels from 0-45 mph even with the performance all-season tires I have fitted. In rain it is hard not to get tire spin and the traction control stays on pretty much full time in the snow.

I've had it for 37 months / 25k miles. My lease is up at the end of September and I will not be purchasing the car. The primary reason is that they want too much ($9,900) and the Spark EV is a compliance car with no support from the manufacturer now that it is out of warranty. They will sell you a replacement battery - for $23,000.

There is a used car lot down the road from me that specialized in used Spark EVs. He said the wholesale market for them is so bad that Chevy will only auction Spark EVs in batches of 5 cars at a time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-19-2019), fusion210 (07-25-2019), Hersbird (07-20-2019)