View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I need to pay more attention to when it's in lean burn. I'd like a light for that!
If you have a Scangauge or the Torque app, watching the O2 sensor voltages will indicate lean burn. One of the sensors reads 0v when in lean burn, and >0v when not in lean burn.

You can also tell by engine load vs mpg, which is what I do. If you drive the car enough, you can tell just by the instrumentation.

Note that in order to get lean burn with the battery disabled your hybrid battery must be at least 20% charged if a 2000, and at least 50% charged if a 2006. Otherwise the car doesn't get lean burn. I learned the hard way once and got "poor" (if it can even be called poor) mpg on a highway trip. I wondered for the whole day why I wasn't getting lean burn. It was because I had reset the 12V, so the car thought the battery was empty on my IMA disable, so I didn't get lean burn until I let the car recalibrate and display the battery's correct charge level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
81.7 MPG with the IMA off.
Sounds like that might be your issue then. Even a healthy battery has some slight background charge, and with limited brake use, forced charge is the only way the battery can charge.

IMA battery = faster acceleration = more power, and with limited braking for regen, = forced recharge = power robbing = lower fuel economy.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (07-20-2019)