View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I found that the Torque app doesn't seem to count any mileage over 100 MPG in their long term trip average. For example, suppose you were going downhill and the readout said 99 MPG instantaneous, Torque would factor that into the trip log, while if you got over 100 MPG going downhill, it would not factor that in.

The long term average is very inaccurate too. You'd probably have to do an even 50% city 50% highway split to get it even, since it overestimates city FE and underestimates highway FE.

In my Civic, Torque said my best city FE trip was 71 MPG when it was really upper 50s, and said my best highway trip was 49.1 when it really was 60 - calculated over 300 miles.
Definitely going to take it with a grain of salt. I did notice yesterday that with the range extender totally off, the app was reporting 255 MPG without the correction for displacement while moving, and it dropped to 0 MPG while stopped. Whether that counts toward the average or not I did not notice. I haven't driven with it corrected yet, but that shouldn't skew things too badly overall for collecting data in motion anyway.

I have to wonder if the accuracy of it is more dependent on the individual vehicle ECU.