View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Definitely going to take it with a grain of salt. I did notice yesterday that with the range extender totally off, the app was reporting 255 MPG without the correction for displacement while moving, and it dropped to 0 MPG while stopped. Whether that counts toward the average or not I did not notice. I haven't driven with it corrected yet, but that shouldn't skew things too badly overall for collecting data in motion anyway.

I have to wonder if the accuracy of it is more dependent on the individual vehicle ECU.
IIRC 255 is the highest that the instantaneous readout will display. As far as I know it won't be consistently factored in on the average due to being over 100 MPG. It may work differently on different ECUs; I haven't been able to verify that.

Maybe I missed it earlier, but doesn't your car have built in efficiency instrumentation? If so, those are typically much more accurate, and if not, a Scangauge is much more accurate and doesn't cost all that much when you think of it long term.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)