View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think mine's a Remington, and about $50. The blade's a bit short, but it handles most of what I need to do.

I do mine differently: usually the places I get it have been logged or thinned, so I don't need to do much cutting out in the field - just to trim some of the logs to pickup lengths. Most of the time is spent loading, then I cut them to fireplace size at home with the electric, which is quiet enough that it doesn't bother the neighbors.
I don't know if you go onto some of the chainsaw forums but there's always an ideal saw for a situation, not an ideal saw for everyone. If the remington works well for you then its a good saw for what your doing.
My firewood tends to be big enough that I need to block it to move it all, so electric anything isn't really an option. Some of it I need to split right there to load it even. For my big saw I've got a husky 372 with a 20" bar, it pulls it well even buried in white oak. For my little saw I've got husky 141 with a 16" bar, in softwoods under 16" and smaller hardwoods it work fine and is alot lighter.
I've used an old 2 man buck saw a couple times at a friends cottage and it worked pretty good. I'm tempted to get one at an antique store sometime, just to get more of a workout. I burn 2 or 3 cords a year so it really doesn't take very long to get it done. If I use more than $20 in gas between the atv and the saws I'd be surprised.
Guys do use veggie oil for the bar, regular veggie oil oxidizes leaving "crud" that can gum up the oil pump but there are specialized veggie oils that behave like normal oil. If you can remember to clean out the tank or use your saw frequently (like once a week) you can use normal veggie oil.
Ian
Not my video but here's a stock 372 in action.

Last edited by IndyIan; 09-10-2008 at 09:26 AM..