View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
You're probably barking up the right tree. The manual 2016 seems more powerful, & NOT just because its geared lower. The 2016 Elantra has 2 or 3 HP LESS than the 2013 Elantra. However, the 2016 engine seems smoother & more responsive than the 2013. I do love the 2016 manual in the mountains to 4000 feet. Soon, I'm going up to Mt. Rainier & Chinook Pass (5500 feet). Expect the manual to continue its mountain superiority over the 2013.
Both Elantras have a total of 135,000+ miles, & nothing has ever had to be repaired on either one.
Good to know, thanks for sharing. One possible explanation for why the manual trans may feel faster is because it has no torque converter. The energy wasted by the torque converter never makes it to the wheels. Assuming that the torque converter is 90% efficient at full throttle, it could be wasting up to 15 horsepower on a 150 horsepower engine that could be going to the wheels, which certainly would be noticeable.

That and a manual trans is a lot lighter than an auto and likely has less rotational mass since a clutch is probably a lot lighter than a torque converter.

Here is a thread I made about manually controlling my torque converter lockup if you want to check it out. https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...-new-post.html
The Following User Says Thank You to EcoCivic For This Useful Post:
litesong (07-22-2019)