View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
conor_v
EcoModding Lurker

Jerry - '11 Chevrolet Volt
Aero-Volt Project

Hi all. I am pretty new here but I wanted to make a thread to document my progress in making the Volt as aerodynamic as possible. I am really interested to see how far I can get my car to travel on one full battery. My car is a 2011 Volt so it has the smallest battery of the entire fleet of first generation Volts.

I have only seen a few threads dedicated to modifying the Volt so I figured I'd start one where I compile every modification I complete and provide adequate data from my trips. I already have a spreadsheet going on my google drive which I will link here. I update it every day! It is not A/B/A scientific however I think my method of collecting averages will end up being a decent enough way to tell statistical correlation between my mods and efficiency. BUT. I have never taken a stats class so correct me if I am wrong in trusting average data. I just feel it is probably the best way to control against the many variables of driving.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Current Modifications:
1. Lower air dam
2. Side skirts
3. wheel covers (these frequently get taken off and replaced... still need a better solution here)
4. Passenger mirror delete

Future Modifications: (no particular order)
1. Cameras for mirrors
2. Underbelly pan (I will shorten my air dam after this is done)
3. Air redirection from the front wheel wells
4. Make windshield wipers more aero (they are very exposed)
5. 3D print a bracket to replace the currently taped over void that is my passenger mirror mount hole.

I have definitely put way more money in to this project than I should have already however I really enjoy working on my car like all of you. I am hoping I can inspire other people with Volt's interested in eco-modding their cars and I hope to learn a lot from you folks. I feel I already have and I can't wait to learn more.

Any questions? Feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can!

My questions for you all...

1. For those with a mirror delete... how do you deal with law enforcement if you get pulled over? Do you get bothered by the cops?

2. What is the best way to make inexpensive wheel covers for alloy wheels? I've look all over and I cannot seem to find any thread that gives me any info relevant to my situation (being that my wheel covers are not flush with the wheel and I cannot figure out the best way to make them flush...)

3. What modification has made the biggest impact for YOUR car and what car do you drive?

4. How do people react when they see your car? Do you get comments from other people frequently? I always see people looking at my car in the parking lot at work and on the road. I actually kind of enjoy the stares but I have never had anyone comment...

Lastly I have attached pictures of my car, Jerry! I'm glad I joined y'all as this is the most encouraging internet community I have ever joined so far. Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_162851.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	26496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_163521_LI.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	26498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_161450 (2).jpg
Views:	747
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	26499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_202202.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	26500  

Last edited by conor_v; 07-23-2019 at 10:57 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conor_v For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-25-2019), Cd (03-28-2021), cowmeat (07-24-2019), ksa8907 (07-25-2019), ocnorb (07-24-2019)