View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Thanks for asking.

College freshman year architectural design studio (a lab with 2-3 hour blocks during the week). Two profs (one the best ever, the other the subject of this post).

The design brief was an ice fishing hut. Two weeks to work it out. Two days before I was sitting in the lab reading Terry Southern's Candy and the prof walked up behind me and looked over my shoulder (It was the part about an orgy in a bucket of eels). I hadn't anything but a diamond-shaped floor plan, so I went to the Student Union and bought some corrugated cardboard and balsa wood.

The next day I had a trailerable hut at 1"=1". See attached

The others' solutions were "I didn't want a door so I made a black curved hallway" or "Mine is erected by bolting plywood panels together". The good prof said my model was directly productizable (I doubt the word existed then).

The next weekend was Parent's Weekend and I took my parental unit to the lab to show them the model. It had been smashed flat. None of the other students had any motive to perform that act. I have no direct proof, but his was that sort of personality.