View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Redirecting from "Small / economy car deathwatch: we've passed `peak econobox' again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am finally studying for my final! I am also a week behind on my paperwork again, but I feel like that should be in one of my threads.

There are so many from which to choose!

Still, I do not understand people who want so many updates they get in the way of doing what they want me to. Let me take care of it and then we can talk--or not.

Not talking is always an option.

"We still don't talk sometimes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
People that want updates probably understand your proclivity to procrastination (at least that's what I assume about myself).

Somewhere else you mentioned financial independence, as if that's something that happens to you. Truth is, it's a decision 99% of the time, and something that happens 1% of the time.
In my experience, women keep asking the same question when they do not like the answer, but they keep doing the same thing, expecting a different result?

Most of my examples involve my sister.

When I first earned my first Bachelor's everyone told me to find a place to live and then a job. I concluded it was more logical to find a job first. I was hired to be a substitute teacher as I moved all of my stuff into a locker. Then my sister called, still while I was moving into a locker. I told her that I was just offered a job and she actually lived two blocks from a school in that district, so she asked why I had not asked to stay with her.

At least part of that is that I do not like to drop something important and work on something else--I may never get back to it.

I also would have tried to find a room to rent first.

I stayed with her one whole week. My eldest nephew was a baby, had colic, and screamed constantly unless you held him, walked around, patted his back, and sang to him.

It was exhausting.

I helped a great deal with him and cleaned up after myself. I immediately found a room to rent, but we agreed that I would move in once I had my first paycheck.

School started, I went to work, came home, and walked around patting my nephew's back and singing to him.

My brother-in-law was trying to watch a movie, and apparently trying to drown out his son, which seemed to be a vicious cycle.

My sister came home, my nephew calmed down, and I tried to relax.

She asked me from the other room when I was moving out. I had been there for seven days and we had this conversation every day.

What answer did she want me to give her?

I ended up moving out that night and I was unable to see my nephew for a while because she said I was not fit to be an uncle.

Then there was my first Easter with Bacon five years ago. I was replacing my oil pan, and, as always, had one problem after another. We discussed dinner some days earlier and my sister asked if I would need a ride.

"I am going to try to fix my car and I will let you know if I need someone to pick me up."

We had that conversation dozens of times in the next few days, with her, with Mom, and with my mother-in-law, and the thing was, I was unable to fix my Civic in-time, so I figured out how to get there.

I arrived and the three women kept asking the same questions over and over--at the same time.

The wife of really the one friend I have told me a few years ago that I think that women are unintelligent and immature--based on her interpretation of her husband's version of stories I told him.

Some are, sure. If we ignore those willing to date me, I do not know what kind of a sample we have.

I think Mom just likes to complain. Mom thinks that my sister takes out her problems on me instead of dealing with her husband. I do not know about my supervisor, but it seems that the people with whom I interact regularly feel they know exactly how I should do everything, and feel upset when I make the decisions that are most logical to me.

Now, my Dad, he had an anger issue the entire time we were growing up. He bought his first recliner when I was a kid and when he wore one out, he bought another. He always bought a new car, he had hundreds of audio tapes and CDs, and he claimed 3/4ths of their walk-in closet. When he passed, Mom donated dozens of shirts that cost over a hundred dollars each.

For most of their marriage, they could not afford all of the money that he spent on himself, so Mom had less money to spend on herself and us.

He was great about saying nice things about Mom, but it seems that he never said anything nice to her. So, for whose benefit did he say those things?

He did not go into my grandmother's funeral or into their house when we visited afterward. According to Mom, he resented attention being given to someone else.

Dad had a great many flaws and I think Mom holds them against me, even though I have completely different flaws.

So, back to Easter, while the three women kept asking me the same questions at the same time and I decided to forget them and eat, Dad just sat back, enjoyed the show, and laughed.

Then my sister decided to lecture me. "You put yourself in situations that are avoidable!" I do not know what she was going to say next because her lecturing me was avoidable.

I left, but as I drove off, I saw Dad in the doorway.

He came after me to talk to me.

That is how I try to remember him.

I could have just asked someone to drive half an hour out of their way each way, but why plan on not fixing my car? Why did they obsess over making sure that I had a ride when I was absolutely capable of getting there myself?

They kept asking the same questions over and over again because they did not like my answers, but my answers were not going to change. I made it. I wanted to enjoy Easter with my family, and they wanted me to say what they wanted me to hear.