View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
What is financial independence?

Regarding financial independence, what does that mean? I pay my own bills. Am I financially independent? Can I go on all of the vacations I want?

Vacations are irrelevant to me. I see my family regularly. Where else would I want to go and who else would I want to see?

Do I want to buy a new Civic? No, I just want to keep my cars in good shape. Where is that crankshaft pulley bolt?!

Do I, a forty year-old, enjoy living with my mother?

Enough, but I feel this is where I belong, helping my brother with autism, and our mother. At some point she will not be around anymore and I will really have problems.

If financial independence happens to you, you will probably mismanage it and lose it.

I have new clients, but doubt my current job will ever take me to twenty hours a week, which I need for various goals, and I have a new job, which is also inadequate for all of my needs, but together:

I get into grad school. I graduate grad school. I get a full-time job and can pay for the proper tools to properly maintain everything and to pay the professional when I shouldn't attempt something myself.

Is that financial independence?

I am sure that I would take regular vacations without incurring debt.

I want my family to enjoy things.

I mentioned winning publisher's clearinghouse. I hope that even if I received $5,000 a week I would keep working and trying to advance myself but if I apply this fall, get accepted for next fall, I would not graduate until 2023.

I am sure there are many paths to a comfortable living that are faster, like becoming a realtor and selling 23 houses a year.

Honestly, I do not know what else.

Kevin and Graham's answer to everything is real estate. They show that you can grow your wealth faster through real estate than through index funds.
I am sure a stock broker would disagree, but their plan, which I have been planning on sharing in a dedicated thread is:
  1. Save up 3.5% for a house
  2. Find a house that has been on the market for a while, that needs stuff like paint and landscaping. Let's say this house costs 10% less.
  3. Get an 30-year FHA mortgage with a home-improvement loan for $10,000. Paint. Fix the landscaping.
  4. Pay $1,249 in mortgage and put what you can in savings.
  5. Get out of mortgage insurance as soon as you are eligible.
  6. When you find the right second house, ideally a little bigger and nicer, put 3.5% down a 30-year mortgage, and rent out your first house.

I cannot find anything giving me a rough idea of how much of a profit margin you should be able to have, but as they say, every house is profitable at the right price.

Is 10% profit reasonable? Can you use this to purchase five houses in five years, with each slightly larger and nicer than the next?

I wrote out a scenario where you buy a $150,000 house, make 10% over expenses, use the rent money to pay the mortgage and save up for the down payment on a $165,000 house a few years later, an $181,500 house a couple years after that, etc., and after 11.5 years have a little over a million dollars in real estate bringing in $638.53.

That does not sound like much, but I did not calculate using any of your own money once you rent out the first house, so that would be over six hundred dollars a month based on an original investment of $5,250.

I just do not have any idea if that is high or low.

It is something I continue to investigate and if I were able to buy a house that required minimal maintenance, I would think a van would make more sense than my Accord.