View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by me and my metro View Post
My custom 700r4 behind my 6.5 GM Diesel locks up about halfway through 2nd gear and stays locked. I can make it unlock with the right throttle pressure. The automatic overdrive in some Dodge Diesel pickups will not shift from direct to overdrive with the converter locked and I never cared to find out.
Thanks for your help. Mine is designed to lock in 3rd gear and shift to 4th while it's locked if load is low enough and other conditions are met. However, the shift feels pretty smooth because the PCM releases some of the fluid pressure so the TCC can slip a little bit to reduce shock and so the gear engages smoothly.

When I force lockup with full fluid pressure due to the disconnected pressure control solenoids, the shifts feel somewhat hard, but nothing bad IMO. For some reason locking it in 1st gear makes it unhappy, so my strategy for maximizing MPG is to lock it as soon as it's in 2nd gear and leave it locked until I slow way down or stop. Would you say that my method is harmful to the transmission? Thanks