View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Pretty sure my AC needs a recharge, but I don't really know because I haven't tried using it since last year when I test drove the car before buying. So my AC loss is 0 MPG. But I presume I would see a significant loss were I to do the crazy thing and refill the AC and actually use it...something I can't fathom doing. Windows cracked at <40 mph speeds on hot days keeps the interior cool enough, and just the fan on low at higher speeds if it gets hot enough, which it hasn't yet. There's also a slight forced airflow through the vents on my car with the climate control off that keeps the car cool (and warm during the winter) as well. The gray-ish beige interior also seems to stay a lot cooler than the gray cloth in my Civic.

I also like the heat and rarely have a passenger in my car.

There was a MPG loss with the AC running on the Civic I used to have, but I have no idea how much it was due to no actual testing and too much variance and inaccuracy with Torque's fuel economy instrumentation. Plus, I never ran the AC in that car even though it worked fine. I even removed the blower motor for weight reduction...

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
mecheic (07-26-2019)