View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #50 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
My wife & I are going to Mt. Rainier & Chinook Pass, leading to Yakima, tomorrow (in the manual Elantra). Been there with the automatic Elantra twice, while efficiently burning 87 octane, 100% ethanol-free gasoline(E0). Tomorrow, we'll be using (not burning efficiently) 87 octane E10. Any performance differences (other than MPG) between E0 & E10, compared to transmission differences, would be minor.
We got back from our small trip to Mt. Rainier, 4600 foot Cayuse Pass, 5500 foot Chinook Pass, down to Yakima & up to 3000 foot Snoqualmie Pass. The 2016 manual 145HP Elantra was superior to the 147 HP automatic Elantra, on the steep mountain slopes. Even with the use of E10 (which is inferior to E0), & the slight HP decrease, the manual always had more capability on all slopes, elevations, ascensions, & descents than the automatic Elantra. Even with low power, the manual Elantra gives pleasure in the mountains, that the automatic Elantra can't assure. I still love the automatic Elantra (even in the mountains), but I know which side of my slice of bread, has the butter..... & apricot jam.
The trip computer indicated that the manual Elantra got 48MPG. Using E10, the trip computer would be about 4MPG too optimistic. So a reasoned guess is the trip in the mountains gave 44MPG.

Last edited by litesong; 08-29-2019 at 09:07 PM..