View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #6268 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
"Instead of a divorce between society and nature, one should rather pursue couple’s therapy to reconcile one with the other, namely figuring out how to ensure the provision of what is required for the “good life” following a principle of prudent stewardship and non-exploitation. The issues we find ourselves in can be solved backward by acting on the elements that created the problem in the first place, namely the choice of countries to pursue economic growth at all social ecological costs. It is the end of the battle of the de-words, and decoupling has lost. Now that the oven is warm, what degrowth thinkers should focus on is finding ingredients (policies) and recipes (transition scenarios) as to make sure the societal project of degrowth results in a delicious cake."
A plan that doesn't account for human nature is no plan at all.

We're able to have all of our technology and creature comforts rather than live in caves and die at the age of 23 because we're not content to leave things be. Everything has to be explored, and nothing is good enough.

Getting all of humanity to limit exploration is like getting me to purposely not get any better at ping pong. When I play ping pong, I'm always trying to do better. It would be virtually impossible for me to choose a skill level and play at that level, never trying to improve a single thing upon it, not only not trying to improve, but actively making sure I don't.

The one area I think we can/will conserve resources is in reducing overall population. Raising children is a huge burden in modern society, and that's evidenced by reduced birth rates in the most developed nations.

I'm not saying the problem will be entirely solved by a natural shrinking of the population, but I believe it will be the main "solution".

Humanity will never choose "simple" on a large scale, or for long periods of time. Simplification would be a social fad, not something integrated into the DNA of our being.

Of course, we can't consume what doesn't exist. To that end, simplification may not be a choice, but then again I don't think it ever was.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-27-2019), RustyLugNut (07-26-2019)