View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Soy protein extract it's very cheap compared to meat, especially if you buy from producers or wholesalers. 1kg in bulk of dry soy protein texturized can be, for final copnsumer, 3 times cheaper than 1kg of meat, and I remamber that when hydrateted and removed the excess water it get 3 times heavier (still very close similar protein value to meat). So it's like be 6 times cheaper than meat.
This for countris that produces a lot of meat, like Brazil, and have low prices for meat. For countries where meat are more costly, the difference is even higher.

Unless prison and schools buy really rotten meat... I think they buy meat close to expire, but expired would be against laws.

High temperatures in processing food can have effect over vitamins, but cooking do the same. But some process have use of chemicals, or took aways many nutrition things.
Maybe white wheat flour do a lot of harm just because what it loses and not because what it have. It leads to get high glicemic value and so increase obesity and diabetes. The same for corn syrup, since corn is heath food but corn syrup alone is not the kind of.

Anyway I think vegan meat will reach the point to be not just so good, 99% close in taste, but even better taste than meat. And will be cheaper (will take some time) and healtier, and necessary to cope with the global population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That isn't cheaper than buying expired meat that has next to no value in the consumer distribution channels. It then only has value to those that have no purchasing power, such as the homeless and imprisoned.

The amount of processing done to food doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the quality or nutrition. In fact, no processing often has negative nutritional value. If you just break off a husk of corn and start gnawing on it, it's the least processed way you can have corn, and about the least nutritional because it must be separated from the parts that can't be digested (husk, hair, stalk) and cooked to unlock the nutrition.

BTW- I'm completely open to arguments that meat is murder, or that it's unhealthy, or any other such arguments because I don't take them personally, even if someone is directly calling me a murderer. I've got my own thought out counter-arguments.

Last edited by All Darc; 07-26-2019 at 02:54 PM..