View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #6281 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
point in time and

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There's no number of weather records for a particular geographic region that will prove global warming, as it's the global average over time that tracks climate change.

It's the total heat energy carried by the earth that is relevant to the discussion of climate change. That will manifest in local weather, but local weather will not be proof of climate change.

Perhaps it's too hot where you are, but I'd need to see something more than an observation of 3 ambulances and a stuck bridge. Lets see how crop yields turn out, life expectancy, per capita income...

Global warming is a prime candidate for confirmation bias. We need as unbiased, objective observations as possible, which is why I appreciate Aerohead's contributions (not that he's unbiased, but that he largely presents relevant facts).

The whole point of me talking about "record low" temps here isn't to deny global warming to disprove climate change, but to prove the irrelevance of point in time and space measurements in drawing conclusions about a global trend.
The Meteorological year ends November 30th. Only then will the researchers have all the data sets from which to determine how we did for the year.
That said, weather 'extremes' are something the climate scientists consider,as they are 'black swans',something the climate models do not exclude.The accelerated warming at the poles,as best as the scientists can figure,has affected the stratospheric polar jet/night jet,which is coupled to the jet stream.Instability in the polar jet is considered to be a driver for the jet stream excursions which effect the regional distribution of atmospheric energy,water vapor,stalled high-pressure areas,and such,which can wreak havoc,like the snowmaggedons,early melts,flooding,heat waves,blizzards,super-cells,and the like.Reliable weather data has been compiled since 1880,so we have quite a bit of data from which to do statistical analysis and recognize trends or not.
That Saharan heat is in Greenland right now,and they're witnessing record melting as I type this.In the Arctic Circle,Siberia,Scandinavia,Greenland and Alaska are experiencing wildfires of such magnitude,that the carbon dioxide from the fires will be enough by itself,to amplify global warming according to the folks monitoring up there.Japan's under Typhoon NARI,China's experiencing a 'Tibetan High',with up to 38-C (100.4-F),Belgium just set a heat record (105-F),France (108-F),Germany(102F in Cologne)),Poland,Netherlands,Britain.Fires burning in Canada.
We had a highway buckle in Burleson,Texas last week which shut major traffic down.Ozone Action Days here.My forehead perspiration carries nitric acid into my eyes when working outdoors.Very nice!