View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I didn't know that, about the insight. Which k-series had it tha you considered impractical?
To my knowledge it was the 2009 Acura TSX and 2012 Civic Si that used the K24Z3 and K24Z7 respectively, and these were the first (high performance at least) K series with water-cooled and integrated exhaust manifolds.

The Insight shares a ton of wiring and sensor signaling with the RSX (2002-2004). It shares a bit less with the 2005-2006 RSX/2004-2008 TSX which moved to drive-by-wire. It shares progressively less with newer ECUs and engines, and the farther forward you go, the more incompatibility you get.

The 02-04 RSX ECU which I chose due to extremely close compatibility with the car's body systems can in theory be used to run any KxxA or KxxZ engine, but a lot of parts and sensors need to be taken from earlier engines to run the later ones, such the crank position sensor, which has very different wiring, and to run the TSX engine I chose I already had to retrofit the throttle body from an earlier-year Accord plus repin most of the other sensors.

The other alternative is to use the correct ECU and wiring harness for the engine, e.g. 2012 K24Z7 ECU with 2012 K24Z7 engine, but then you have issues with things like incompatible body electronics - EVAP/emissions systems, all of the gauge cluster signaling, need to retrofit drive-by-wire to the pedal, and who knows what else. Fuel pump? Haven't the faintest idea if it would work.

Anyhow, I digress. I'm sure someone else the integrated header even before Honda, but the Insight's is the earliest engine I'm aware of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-28-2019), deluxx (10-14-2019)