View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #87 (permalink)
woodstock74
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
I've started thinking that this is really the only practical legal and safe way to do any real testing with my car that doesn't depend upon long term data. That means testing is likely to be more of a destination / event activity for affirming beneficial changes.

I did order a 1/32 scale model of my car to monkey around with and depending upon how accurately sized, I may build a wind tunnel for it for giggles and grins if nothing else.
Noted aerodynamicist Yoshi Suzuka (father of Nissan's IMSA GTP and All-Japan race cars) was at one time attempting to market a desktop wind tunnel. He did a lot of work sourcing scales and developing the product such that it produced repeatable results.

At one point he had a number of videos showcasing the wind tunnel, but they don't appear to be up any more. However, he still has his functioning prototype and that can be seen in a few of his videos as he investigates certain road car aero features:

So, if you have in the region of $100,000, you might have something to do with your 1/32 scale models!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodstock74 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-31-2019), Snax (07-30-2019)