View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
FWIW, I can push my stock 305HP/555TQ ‘04 Cummins 1T along at just over 30-mpg with close to 1K additional weight above published shipping weight (just under 8k) if I keep it under 55mph on level terrain with no adverse winds in mild temperatures.

This is for more than fifty miles and understanding the correction factor for the overhead MPG display.

My truck was built in August of 2003. If big trucks are any comparison, an ‘03 model versus a 2019 model are leagues apart in computer drivetrain control finesse; even where specification appears the same.

So a 2020 Detroit pickemup with high MPG numbers shouldn't be surprising. Contemporary comparisons showed me my MPG wasn’t different against a dozen others in trailer towing, a 40% correction factor means most were seeing 23-mpg or better 62-65/mph while solo.

A 10-speed auto trans, variable-vane turbocharger-equipped I6 diesel is one VERY sophisticated creature.

The flaw in thinking about pickups is in considering them as family transportation. With no IRS depreciation and/or deductible miles, this pickup or others is one BAD choice.

Where high annual business miles apply, the premium and the return on investment are both within scope.

Diesel doesn’t pay off until 200k miles. And then it is the hope that the drivetrain will continue to life’s end without rebuild. Which will not be true for a gasser. That’s a window which takes planning and discipline.