View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I'd like to see what it could get with an engine more similar to the Cummins ISF3.8 and that 10-speed transmission, considering my previous experience with a Brazilian F-250 4WD regular-cab which was factory-fitted with a Cummins ISB3.9 and a 5-speed manual. With a lead foot it could get around 20MPG, while a more conscious driving would get it around 30MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The I6 was rare into the 70s and 80s in trucks (pretty common in GM cars) and they may have only been available in what they may not have considered "light duty" trucks (even though according to DOT even a 2020 Duramax 2500 Silverado HD is "light duty"). Still up until the mid 50s it was the only motor available in a Chevy pickup. Agreed a bad claim.
Last time an inline-6 gasser had been available for a GM truck was before the production of the GMT400 shifted from Argentina to Brazil between late-'99 and 2000. There was also a turbodiesel inline-6 sourced from MWM which soldiered on until the GMT400 was phased out in Brazil in late 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
A lot of it may have to do with the 2.8 gets a 6 speed and the 3.0 gets a 10 speed.
I'm sure the 10-speed transmission might've held an important role for an old Bolivian to tell me his late-model F-150 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost was somewhat a fuel-saver.

Quote:
I also suppose more smaller cylinders may be more efficient at complete diesel burn than fewer larger cylinders even though you have 2 extra sets of rings and a few more bearings.
Compression ratio, injection pressure and the fuel spray have more to do with a complete burn than the cylinder bore.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
slowmover (08-18-2019)