View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Mom asked me to check her back tire. I grabbed my bike pump and she said she was driving to Big O. They told her that tire was at 15 PSI, but they could not inflate it, because it could explode.

They inflate tires from 0 PSI when they install them, so is this because of a prospective hole? You put high-pressure air into a tire with a hole and it could explode?

It doesn't make any sense to me. I am riding my bike over and bringing my pump!

[They also said her front tires were at 3/16th of an inch. I had her verify and she says they are almost bald. I really think we would have noticed that!]

They did not tell the poor little widow how much the new tires would be...
There probably is a hole in it, but it's not going to explode.

When I worked in the Ford garage I was responsible for patching holes in tires. I aired the tire up to about 85 PSI and then sprayed it down with soapy water to find the hole, and i never had an issue.

I even had one I did this and the 'hole' was a section of the bead seat on the rim about 6" long that got taken out on a curb, and even that tire didn't blow.

Not sure what their issue is, but I'm guessing they are saying "We can't air it up, so you need to buy a new one."

air it up yourself and take it to a different shop, and don't go to that one again.