View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #278 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
You may be confusing a LED flasher relay with resistors.

An "easy" fix to installing LED turn signals without hyperflashing is to install resistors in the turn signal wiring to increase the current draw, which makes the stock thermal flasher think that regular bulbs are in place and flashes normally. The downside there is that the resistor heats up VERY fast, and depending on where you have it mounted could damage exterior paint from the heat and/or be a fire hazard. After all, in order to pull 0.3 amps up to 2 amps means that 1.7 amps are being wasted as resistive heat whenever the turn signals are on.

If I remember correctly, the electronic flasher relay uses some sort of timer for the turn signals. Both LEDs and halogens blink at the same rate.

I opted to go with the flasher relay so I would actually benefit from the reduced electrical draw and not have to deal with all that wasted heat. I'm sure the relay wastes some energy as heat, but then again, so did the stock thermal flasher relay, and turn signals don't work without a relay.

Turn signals really aren't on all that much, so there really isn't any benefit unless you do a lot of driving without an alternator, but due to how the Meanwell pseudo-alternator works on the Insight, I can be driving along at, say, 1000 RPM with the battery charging and supporting base load + headlights just fine, but then have the turn signals on to make a turn and just have enough of a current draw to barely shut off the Meanwell at those low RPMs, and then have to be at 1200 or so RPM for ~5 seconds for it to turn back on again. Or if it does stay on, then the fan pulses in sync with the turn signals. The first sentence of that paragraph is too long, but I am too tired to fix it tonight lol.

With just the rears installed this seems to be mostly fixed; hopefully I see it work even better when I have the fronts installed.

I just went with a $8 C13/EP34 flasher relay from Amazon. Not sure if all Honda's have the same kind of relay; I would double check first before buying one. LEDs were $19 for 4. Not expecting any ROI other than the Meanwell staying on at ultra-low RPM when turn signals/hazards are on.

-

I think I have a bad habit of using too many words just to answer one question.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-10-2019), Ecky (08-10-2019)