View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #51 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
We're tribalistic to varying degrees, and I tend to be much less so than most.

That said, categorization and simplification are important for us to function in the world because there's infinite layers to perceive, but we still need to act despite not having a complete view of all layers of complexity of something.

Perhaps Prius drivers generally are slower than other drivers. I know from experience they lack acceleration compared to the typical vehicle. That said, I don't like identifying as a "Prius" driver, because I'm also a sport bike rider, a CX-5 driver, a pickup driver, a TSX driver... Prius driver isn't a sufficient description of me to accurately assume anything about me.

We might be able to make generalized observations about arbitrary groups of people, but when we're interacting with an individual, it's best to treat them at the individual level than assume all of the group traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Heck since Fitzgerald has a scapegoat you will likely see all sorts of terrible legislation coming down the pipe. (And honestly we already have, when it was all Republicans there were no abortion bills, now all of a sudden we are seeing these going through)

You have republican control at all levels of government from the town board through the assembly that provides legislation to the governor to sign.

We can’t expect a single moderate democratic governor to change anything when everyone below him including the judicial are republicans.
That's the beauty of The United (collection of individual) States of America; that they have authority to decide how to run most things. Each one an experiment to test ideas, and for comparisons to be made to seek optimal solutions, or to adjust to problems unique to the location.

You want local government to have as much freedom as possible so that they can solve local problems as effectively as possible, with higher levels of authority only superseding local authority (all the way down to the individual) when absolutely necessary.

Then, with these various experiments playing out, we get to choose which one we'd like to participate in, being mindful of the principle of solving problems at the most granular level possible before ceding liberty to higher authorities.

I get your frustration as I've participated in college and was surrounded by absurdity everywhere, but it was my choice to participate, and hopefully my moderate/independent views on things gave some people courage to think for themselves.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-12-2019 at 05:18 PM..