View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #31 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
Not confused so much as trying to see how it makes much of a difference in real world MPG numbers. If this 10 mile trip is your daily commute, then the difference is at most 2 tenths of a mile. About 1040 feet per day. So for an average work week the difference is 1 mile. Either 53 or 54 miles total. Even if you did this on 1 gallon of gas, how much more gas did you burn? Is it even worth calculating? If you only averaged 30 MPG, the difference in what you used is only 3.3/100 th's of a gallon. Just a hair over 4 oz for the week. Less than a dime at $2.50/gallon for the week. Not much of a deal breaker.

For an average of 30 MPG, to drive the two longer distances, it would take either 33 gallons or 33.66 gallons. $1.65 extra to drive 1000 miles at $2.50 a gallon. Again, not a huge meaningful difference.

Precision is nice, but when converted to real world numbers, it seems like overkill.
You're right, at least for the average person out there in the world who may not even know how to calculate fuel mileage or odometer error.

However, for the non-average person, ie an ecomodder, here on this forum who does things to save, say, 5% on his/her fuel mileage, it often makes a BIG difference to achieve, say, 40mpg v only 38.

Enough difference between a frown :-( and a smile :-) to many of us.

In fact, that's why we're taking the time to participate here, no?

Edit addendum: I was referring to the OP's question in general. I see in the post I copied it is referring to much smaller differences than 5%. So, I guess it's all relative.

Last edited by MeteorGray; 08-13-2019 at 09:55 AM..