View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #6488 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
The argument to take action sooner rather than later certainly makes sense.

....Global warming affects absolutely everything, and not necessarily in a negative way. ....That said, what is known is that adaptation and preparation is made easier when there's more time, and rapid change puts more pressure on creatures (including us) attempting to adapt. The question then becomes whether we get more bang for the buck delaying the rate of change, or by preparing for it.
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." — David Knuth
Quote:
Though I'm no expert, it seems more straightforward to me to build something that accommodates current and future weather than to keep what I have built and try to manipulate the outdoor thermostat. This especially when the timescale we're talking about is still many generations. We're not even talking about us having to build a new home for ourselves, but perhaps great grandchildren needing to build elsewhere, or fortify against future weather.
We could spin off a thread, maybe in Saving@Home. I'd advocate to accommodating temperature extremes and wind-driven debis. But after watching S0 this morning and the Cosmic Disaster video I embedded above, I'll add fist-sized hail and UV radiation.

It would prompt me to produce documentation (under a Creative Commons license) on an high-performance, up-rateable building system.