View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #59 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It wouldn't be the end of the world if far off goods did cost significantly more than locally produced goods. If there was an incentive to group the shipped goods you did need into a few purchases a year rather than a few purchases a week. If there was a reason to increase the use of rail, etc. Anyway my point was 100% saftey is not the goal, it is a balance.

It also would greatly improve safety and quality of life if truckers were paid by the hour not the mile.
Ok, This makes more sense. I definitely think it would be worthwhile for truckers to slow down a bit. Some do, because they realize the huge fuel savings of dropping down to about 60. unfortunately plenty fly around at 75 as well, which frankly is purely reckless.

FWIW, I like the idea of buying locally, but the reality (at least where I am) is that local products cost 3-4X as much, simply because they're 'local' which is the in thing right now. I buy for quality, whether it's made in China, or next door makes little difference to me.