View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Adding regenerative braking to the Mirage

I have finally gotten the alternator delete done on my Mirage. It has been working consistently and perfectly ever since I tweaked a few things. It was a heck of a time getting it to work good, but I am pretty sure I got it all nailed down. Much more info in my thread here:

Help me kill my alternator - it is stubborn and won't die

To get this alternator delete to work, I had to create a circuit to trick the alternator into thinking the battery is fully charged. With the next phase of this mod, I plan to bypass this circuit when braking. This will give me some regenerative braking capability.

Here is the rough and not finalized diagram of the circuit I plan to use to do this. The 7805, capacitors, and dc-dc converter are the circuit that tell the alternator the battery is fully charged. The relay and switch are there to bypass the circuit to get the alternator to charge normally. This allows me to turn the alternator on whenever I want, or just when I am braking.

Finally, I know we've talked about this over the years, but I've never seen someone actually post about doing this. Have any of you guys actually done this? I'd love to hear more about how you did it and the results you had with it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator diagram 04.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	26727