View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #6574 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
So, scientists volunteer their time? Job security has no value?

I'm kinda seeing how this is a 1-way bias.
So far,I've not seen any examples of 'volunteer' scientists.
What I have seen,is graduate students signing up as research assistants (Lonnie Thompson for example) who receive tuition and a stipend.The work can lead to a Master's Thesis and graduate degree.After many years of servitude,they can achieve a PH.D.,and at that point,they're in a position to get funding for their own research.
Grant money will come through committees,and if a scientist is seen to be competing with an established theory,they may see a wall,regarding funds.This would be funding bias.
During some presidential administrations,certain government agencies had to warn their scientists 'not to go' certain places,where is wasn't politically Kosher,for fear of retribution from the Senate committees which has oversight of funding.Some administrations outright threatened to actually do away with certain federal agencies,to make research go away,which was unpopular to those who funded certain re-election campaigns.(another source of funding bias)
The Thompson's for instance,will spend a month at 26,000 feet drilling ice cores on a glacier or ice cap,sleeping in ten sleeping bags,eating frozen SPAM and hot water,while some of their team members are killed,paying some of their expenses out of their own pocket to capture the data and get it safely to the lab for analysis.
A very sexy,opulent lifestyle,with less income than an average plummer.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (08-21-2019)