View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #97 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Interesting story Ecky. While it's not the middle of nowhere by ND standards, ND is the middle of nowhere by most standards. I live in a town of ~6,500, the 13th largest in the state. I commute 42 miles to my job just north of a town of ~15,000, which is like the 6th or 7th largest in the state.

I do quality control of aftermarket pickup accessories, mainly roll-up tarp style, and folding aluminum tonneau covers.

My last job was in the town I live, doing quality control for a company that builds basically all the framework, and suspension and engine mounting components for motor-coaches, as well as some other parts for them, and a few much smaller customers.

Unfortunately though my current job pays better, and has much better benefits, I have about 40% the workload, and am WAY overqualified for what I do heer, and spend most of my time bored silly. I've reached the point where I know more than my manager, and can easily do his job, and could easily do the position of QC manager at pretty much any company that does metal fabrication, and such like; except they all require a bachelors degree, experience in the field be burned.

Considering going to college to get a mech. eng. degree, but with 4 kids, a wife, a house, and a rental house it's not terribly feasible. I could make a little more money if I moved elsewhere, but outside of ND the "Everyone needs a college degree" mantra is even worse.