View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Will this electric van be sold in the US?
I have no insider info on this but I would say - eventually but not initially.

The V-Class, Metris, and Vito are different names for the same vehicle. In the USA this van is called the Metris and went on sale a couple years ago. We have one as a pool car and it isn't bad but it is way overpriced.

So why wouldn't this come right away?

1. Models are almost never launched in all markets at the same time. Europe is Mercedes' largest market by far (40%) followed by China (28%) and then the USA (14%). New models generally roll out in the same order

2. The EU and China are pushing EV's, tightening fuel economy and emission standards. The USA is rolling back our standards. EVs will go first to countries with policies that encourage their adoption

3. The Chicken Tax. The vast majority of Mercedes vans sold in the USA are cargo vans. They are subject to a 25% import tariff. There would be a much greater chance of these EVs coming if they could be imported from the factory in Germany. With the Chicken Tax, Mercedes would have to set up the assembly plant in South Carolina to make EVS. I doubt they will do that with the very limited volume.